Friday 11 September 2015

My Hair Journey

Hi everyone!

I know this is a non-makeup related post but I do get a lot of questions about my hair. I get that this is a makeup blog but I feel like all things beauty tie into one. Also my Makeup Journey seemed to go down a treat with you allIt's good to be able to laugh at yourself every so often!

Right so I'm just going to go through the history of my hair and show you it now and what I do to make it grey because that's what people ask me about mostly.

My natural hair is very thin, a mossy brown colour with a hint of red when the sun shines on it, yeah I'm like dark strawberry blonde. The only picture I could find was this on here when I was about 3 years old but this does show my true hair colour very well.



Shoutout to Katie who was actually cute once upon a time :) Love ya gal Xo

Right so my hair was that colour until I was 11, that is when my older cousin Tara began training to be a hair dresser and needed someone to practice on, of course I was the guinea pig. Don't think I have a photo of this and probably best that I don't because Tara has obviously improved over the last 8 years! She just put blonde highlights through my hair cause I dunno I guess that's what she needed to practice. 

I can't even find pictures on Facebook to show because back then Bebo was all the range but anyways.. I stayed blonde for most of first year but then I remember going brown for a while but then back to blonde. So in second year of secondary school I was back to blonde again.


So yeah that's the type of blonde I was for another year and a half I'd say.

Then towards the end of 3rd year I did what everyone did at the time and went Rihanna Red. This picture doesn't do it justice because I honestly had bright red hair like you couldn't miss me. Ignore the bare face also.


I stayed like this for a bit because if anyone has had or still has red hair, you know the struggle is real. Trying to get the shade of red you want and making it stay that colour is just some hassle. So eventually I gave up and let it fade away to a browny ginger colour and just let my hair get healthy again.


Then I became sick of that colour and just went pure dark dark brown like it was horrible on me.


Just ignore the cut of me like I can't even deal myself. My hair and makeup was just atrocious in 2011/12. Just wanna say that whenever I go brown, I've done it myself with box dye so don't think Tara does this to me haha I do this willingly myself. Tara is responsible for my blonde and red hair. 

Then I got sick of dark brown again so let that fade out for ages. And sure then of course I did the balayage like everyone else too. Tara did this for me and I actually still love it to this day, I'd defo go back to this hair colour/style soon. It's so nice to not have roots!


All these photos are from my Facebook profilers by the way haha the only way I can track my hair colour/style. Sure anyway this didn't last very long and of course I dyed the blonde end bits pink. Like I mean vibrant, in your face, pink.


Soz Mare you had to be featured haha only picture I have of it! So yeah I got sick of the pink and let that fade again until it faded back to blonde. And then once all the pink was gone I began to go back fully blonde with highlights all over.


Soz Rich you also had to be featured haha. So yeah this was 2013 and I was pretty much fully blonde again. Yay!

Then we went for a little bit of a chop with the hair and because I thought my hair was in great condition after the trim, I went off and dyed my whole head pink.


Let the pink fade and I was back blonde and then cut a full fringe into my hair. I do this from time to time and it only lasts about 3 weeks before I get sick of trying to manage it so I may invest in a clip on fringe for when I get in that mood.


Fair play if you're still following this!

Then after that I just left my alone. The fringe grew out and I just kept getting a full head of hightlights and little trims off the ends every 2/3 months. I did this because I wanted to have long,white hair for my debs which was a year away, so I kept my hair in good nick for just over a year and it was probably the best thing I could have done. I was making hair masks from eggs and honey at home twice a week and not using heat on it. I just took very good care of my hair for a year or so.


What I use to keep the blonde/white colour up is the purple shampoo from Swarzkopf. It's called Silver Shampoo but it's purple in colour. I use to leave this in my hair for like ten mins every time I wash my hair. I even had purple dots on my neck and ears from the stain off it, I left it on way too long.


This shampoo is brilliant but I still wanted more. So we went looking and Tara found the Fanciful Rinse by Roux. It's a liquid hair rinse, it doesn't come with a nozzle so you'll have to take the sprayer off another bottle and use it with this bottle and spray this all over your hair when you hair is damp. My debs hair was a full head of highlights, leave in the touch of silver shampoo for ages and then spray the fanciful rinse all over and dry.


I use the shade 43 Platinum Plus and as you can see you can get this from Terri Sales :) And this is the colour of my hair for the debs, I absolutely loved my colour and style for the debs!



So yeah that was my hair from September 2014 until like November. Then I chopped my hair into a BOB and my hair has been blue, pink, back blonde and then purple up until  March 2015. The blue and pink only lasted a week, they were semi permanent colours and water based so they didn't last long. They faded back to blonde but this next purple was permanent. The only issue was that Tara was getting married in May so no one wanted me to have purple hair. About March time we started to remove the purple but to this day, there are still some patches of pink in my hair. Learnt my lesson. Here is a timeline of those hair colours and transition stages...

my brows omg



And then after bleaching my head for 3 months we finally came to this colour - I have extensions in here..


So that was in May and I kept this until September. But if you follow me you'll see that I've had grey hair. Well what I use is by the brand Roux also and it's also Fanciful but it's the mousse version of the liquid rinse. I use the shades 41 & 42 and I put them both into my hair and also onto my extensions. The colour will wash out so being grey for a night out is a nice change for me. My hair was white under all the grey.






You can get this mousse in most chemists in town or in Salon Services in Waterford.

Just recently I toned down the blonde in my hair to a darker more natural blonde, we were worried that the grey mousse may not look as well but I just had it in my hair last night and it was perfect!


I think that's it. Fair play to everyone who made it this far. You're probably sick of seeing my face now but I thought it would be cool to go back over the years and look at my hair this time. And to also share with you the products I use. 

I hope you found this interesting or helpful in some way! My hair will probably be a different colour next week but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for reading! Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment