Wednesday 28 October 2015

How To: Special FX without the Special Makeup

Hi everyone!

Today I was faced with a challenge of doing 'wound' makeup on two lovely clients! Now I'm not even trained for normal makeup never mind special fx. Thankfully, I'm the type of person that can learn by watching, I don't really need to do it to learn it, if that makes sense.

Anyway, being the OCD and perfectionist freak that I am, had to make these cuts and gun shot wounds the best that I possibly could but without the famous liquid latex. Seriously Dungarvan, can somewhere stock it pls? I couldn't find it around town anywhere.

I became panicked because everyone on YouTube uses liquid latex when doing special fx but I didn't have any. So I search for special fx without latex and sure loads came up! Delighted, however some just didn't look real enough for me so I had to keep looking until I found the perfect tutorial.

But this 'perfect' tutorial was still just too messy so now I've made my own.

All you will need:

  • Lash glue
  • Tissue paper
  • Tweezers
You only need 3 things to create the shape of the wound and then eye shadows and fake blood add even more to it.

Gun Shot Wound

Firstly, do your makeup as normal. Then decide where you want the wound to be, I would recommend a place on the face/body that doesn't wrinkle. We decided to place it just under the eye. 

Take your tissue paper and if it's two ply then pull it apart to make it super thin. Take a small section and twist them into a thin rope like thing then join the two ends of the little tissue rope thing with your lash glue to make the circle.

Once you have the circle made, put lash glue on one side of the little circle, let the glue dry for a few seconds and then place onto the face/body. Let that dry - pop on your lashes or something. You can also press the circle into the face more to blend it in more.

Your circle should be stuck and dried to the face after a minute or two. Cover the circle with whatever foundation is left over on your brush or concealer - just to blend it into the skin more. Now grab your shadows. You will need black, red and brown.

Place black shadow in the circle for some depth. Apply some red to the edges of the circle and then some brown around the outer edges and on to the skin around the wound.

Now for the fun, messy bit! Pop a small bit of blood into the circle and let some drip down out of the wound. And you're done!



Stab Wound

The same thing again only make two little tissue ropes and lay them down beside each other, leaving a small gap for the 'stab' effect. Same thing again goes for the shadows and fake blood! Easy peasy :)

I recommended a tweezers because it just helps when applying the tissue to the face and also if you want to pull a bit at the tissue to make it more messy then use your tweezers to do so.



Hope you enjoyed this post and learned a quick little tip about special fx makeup. Also a really nice touch for a Halloween party if you don't want to go over the top. I love the girls idea of just having that small gory detail on the face and still remaining glam!

Thanks for reading!Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment