Thursday 2 July 2015

How to: Clean your Makeup Brushes

Hi girls! Today I want to talk about cleaning your makeup brushes. It is a daunting process but we must all face it at some point. As you can imagine I must wash my brushes frequently enough, more often than the average girl anyway! So I would say I'm able to face it a lot better than most.

I'd recommend to wash brushes that you use for liquids and creams once a week, and for powder type brushes, every two weeks. That's probably not accurate but that's what I did before started  doing other people's makeup!

I wash my own about 3 times a week, depending on how busy I am.

So I'll now take you through the process of doing it, this is just how I do it and the products I use but yeah feel free to clean however you want, this is just my way...

Firstly. I gather all the brushes that need a wash! Then I grab my trusty rubber glove from penney's (€2) and head to the sink.

I use shampoo ( any kind that we have that week ) and anti bacterial hand wash to wash with! If you experience shedding then wash with the shampoo and soap and then condition the bristles, leave for a few mins then come back and rinse off the conditioner! This should help stop shedding.



Just to make life a little bit easier through this torturous process, I put the shampoo in a blob on the side of the sink.


Then I lay down the glove and run the tap. I would rather to use hot water but that can take ages so yeah I just run the tap and work from there. I let the glove stay where it is and firstly wet the brush. Be sure not the wet like the start of the bristles, only wet the tips of the bristles, where product is. If you wet all the brush hairs, water will seep into the barrel of the brush, getting wet and causing the glue that keeps the hairs in place, to loose its powder and cause shedding. 


Then I pick up some shampoo by dipping the brush into the blob of shampoo.



And then begin to wash the brush. This glove has little groves on it which help move the product out of the brush. It makes everything easier and much more clean than if you used the palm of you hand or any flat surface.






As you can see the product begins to wash off, given you a nice clean brush. It was hard to photo graph as I didn't want to drop my phone but really go for it when cleaning. Scrub it all out!

I leave a towel down beside me to place the brushes on while I wash the rest.




And continue washing the rest of them, the exact same way. The glove is brilliant because it just washes clean after every brush. It's made of rubber and found in the home section of penney's.



After about 30 mins all the brushes are clean :) Thank God.



Then I bring them to the nearest windowsill and let them dry for the day up there! If you're rushing you can always blow dry them but don't go OTT because I did and singed all the hairs on my brushes :( They should be dry by morning time anyways!



Thank you all so much for reading! Hope this helped at least one person :) See all my lovely clients this weekend for makeup fun Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment