Monday 20 July 2015

How to: Smokey Eye Tutorial

Hi everyone!
Hope you're all well :)

Excuse this if it's bad, all photos were taken on my iPhone so it may not be great.

Today I wanted to share how I do a smokey eye.
It takes about 12 steps but it's really easy. All about layering and blending really! You don't need much just mainly a really pigmented black shadow. I didn't use anything under the shadow but if you want a really intense black just put down some black gel liner or even pencil to keep the darkness.

I am no expert and this by no means perfect but I did this look Saturday night and people seemed to enjoy the look so I said I would do this tutorial.

Okay, so firstly I always prep my skin, then do my brows and then do my eyes. I'd recommend doing eye makeup before foundation because dark shadows can be hard to work with and fall out is just a nightmare.

*DISCLAIMER* - this eye was created using all matte shadows.

Step 1: Start off with a blank canvas. I just prepped my eyes with Essence eye-shadow primer and set that with baby powder.


Step 2: Apply really light orangey toned shadows with a big fluffy brush. I'm using my Blank Canvas 28 neutral eye-shadow palette and I'm mixing three colours together to just create a small bit of depth to the eye.



 

Step 3: Intensify that depth even more by taken a stronger orange colour shadow. I'm taking this orange shadoe from my Smashbox Blue Eyes palette with the same fluffy brush.




Step 4: Now it's time to begin the darkness. My version of a smokey eye has orange and red tones going through it. I just think that looks nice but you use whatever colours you like/have. I'm taking the red shade and dark brown shade from my Sleek Ultra Mattes V2 palette. I'm using a smaller fluffy brush, you want to keep this in the crease and just a small bit above it. Don't bring this us too high. Mixing the two colours together is just swipe them across the crease. Don't worry if the line is harsh or messy. We'll blend it out later.




Step 5: To blend out the edge of that reddy brown shadow, I'm taking the two yellow toned shadows from the Ultra Mattes V2 palette and blending out the line. These colours are about the same shade as my base so it's okay to bring this up higher. I am also taking a clean brush now but it's about the same size as the last brush just cleaner.


Step 6: Not everyone has this palette but if you have a very dark brown, purple and black, you should be able to still create this look. You could even use the Sleek Ultra Mattes V2 palette. I have very small eye lids and I don't want to make my eyes any darker above my crease. So I'm focusing all the darkness just on the lid. I'm using a tiny flat brush that fit perfectly to my lid and also packs on colour. First, I'm taking my dark brown shadow and applying that to the inner corner of my eye and a bit to the centre of the lid, as you can see here.





Step 7: Next I'm applying the dark purple (2) to the center of my lid and blending in with the brown. Still using the same brush.


Step 8: And now I'm applying the black to the outer corner of my eye. Don't worry about fall out or it being messy, It will all be fixed and cleaned up. Blend the black into the purple.


Step 9: Time to blend. Taking a small amount of black on a small duo fibre brush from Real Techniques, I'm going to blend out all the lines and the crease colour. This is all about blending. Don't worry if some of the colours fade, you can go back in and pack those colours right back on. Just make sure you blend it all.




Step 9: Clean up time. Use baby wipes or makeup remove on a tissues and wipe away all that fall out/mess. Also create a straight edge on the outer corner by just wiping straight across.



Step 10: Take a cream concealer, mine is from Catrice for about €3.50. And a flat brush and clean up even more.



Step 11: Optional but add liner if you want. I love this liner from NYC, it's about €3 and honestly the best liner ever. I was crap at liner before I got this. It seems to do the work for you. Try to use the 'cleanup' line as a guide for your flick.





Step 12: Add lashes ( if you want ) and mascara and you're done!




And that is how I do my smokey eye! Hope you enjoyed it :) It's all about practice and blending. Please give it a go, I think a smokey eye suits all types and colours of eyes! I strobbed again today so if you want to learn about that it's just the post before this.

Overall look:







Thank you all so much for reading! Xx



No comments:

Post a Comment