Friday 19 February 2016

Makeup Essentials!

Hey everyone!

So I always have chats with my clients and they all ask me the same questions usually. The main question is what should I use on my face? Like yeah, an entire face recommendation. Which I don't mind but as you can imagine, when I tell them everything they'll only remember like two things, so today I'm going to make that list available to you all. I hope you enjoy!

First things first, you have to know your skin type so are you oily, dry or combo or what? You'll know immediately anyways yourself. So I would consider your base to be the most important and I think a lot of you will agree. You could have the best blended smokey eye in the world but if your base (foundation, concealer, powder etc) is patchy or doesn't match or suit your skin then no one is going to look at your fab eyes, they will all just look at your face and that's not really good if its looking  crap. That sounds extremely harsh but it's just to show that you need a good base.

For myself, I always hear that you should take care of your skin first and foremost but I'm very bad with my skincare, it's just a baby-wipe and maybe some micellar water but nothing more. My skin isn't too bad like I've never suffered from acne just the normal breakouts now and again so I won't be giving advice on skincare because I think that's something different for everyone so I would say pop into your local chemist or even doctor and they could point you in the right direction about your skin and what products can help. It's all trial and error but if you find a brand or product that works for you the best then I would say keep it and don't be trying new things once you've found that holy grail product, Drinking lots of water will help too!

So now that that's out of the way we can move onto the makeup! I think I'll bypass the prepping and priming because that's different for everyone again. I don't really believe in primers I just moisturize my face but saying that I do have primers that I might use but I don't think you need one unless you have/find one that does something for you. So again just find what you like but I don't think everyone needs a primer.

What I do think though is that you should really invest in a good foundation and concealer because that's what's going to make or break your face. You don't need the splash the cash with these either, I will tell you what I use in a sec and it's mostly chemist foundations or high end ones but still affordable if that makes sense.

Unless a client tells me that they have dry skin or have oily skin, I will use the same mixture for everyone but there are ways to make it work. I'm only going to talk about products that I've actually used.

My most used and favorite foundations would be:

  • Inglot YSM Foundation €20
  • Loreal True Match €15
  • Vichy Dermablend €20
  • Rimmel Match Perfection (blue lid) it costs about €12 or something!
  • Loreal Infallible Matte (tube) it costs about €12 too!
  • Revlon Colourstay or Photoready €20
  • Inglot HD Foundation €30


So if you know foundations then you'll know most of these are matte which is a brilliant finish for oily skin. Now if you have dry skin what I normally do is apply some MAC strobe cream, you can get a small tube for €10 and it'll do you for ages! And then I will mix some of the Sleek illuminator €11.50 into what ever foundation. This usually helps a lot.



Now we're moving onto concealer and I only ever use one concealer. That is the MAC Pro Longwear concealer and I usually get NC20 because the NC tones are more yellow toned and most of my clients are wearing tan which has a green/yellow undertone and it just matches really well. This concealer costs €23 but will last you 6 months and you can hold me to that. I sometimes use the NYX HD concealer €7.50 to brighten the face even more if needs be. This concealer sets on the face really quickly so you have to work fast and blend it all in and set with powder ASAP or you will get creasing.



The powder I use on everyone and myself is baby powder so I would say just use baby powder! If you have dry skin just set the under eye area and maybe the T zone. If you have oily skin then lash the baby powder all over. You can also use this to bake your face which is a post for another time haha!



So now that's the base done. I hope you got a little insight into that. That's just what I use on myself and clients so those products and methods are what I would recommend the most.

The eye shadow primer you need in your life if the I Love Stage eye shadow base by Essence €3. Apply this to your eye lid, I just use my finger and set with baby powder.



Brows are so important and I have a blog post on how I do my brows but what I would recommend you getting is the Inglot Brow Gel €16 if you have dark hair get number 16 and if you are blonde go for number 12. I think that's all you need. Clear mascara is great then to just brush through the brows to keep the hairs in place. And you all know I use the Catrice cream concealer to carve out my brows €3.






Now eye-shadows, I think we all have the world of palettes and I don't really need to tell you what to get. I love Urban Decay, Inglot, Sleek, MAC and Smashbox so like you know yourself. If you're on a budget I would say Sleek palettes are the best to go for because you get 12 shadows for €10 which is amazing so eye shadows are grand like you know yourself!



Contouring and highlighting are becoming more and more important in the makeup world so I have a few that I love. I don't normally cream contour but if I was I use the NYX HD concealer in 08 €7.50 and my concealer would be my cream highlight so that's that done. For powder I do use the Anastasia Beverly Hills contour kit which is like €50 but we all can't afford that so I would recommend the Blank Canvas Cosmetics contour palette €16 or the New Look Pure Colour contour palette it's under €10 and you can get a student discount or I have seen Fushia's contour palette €25 which looks exactly the same as the ABH contour kit so I am going to pick that up during the week and let you know how I get on. 




For highlight I would use the Sleek illuminator €11.50 which is a liquid/cream product but so amazing. For powder highlight I would highly recommend MaryLou by theBalm €20, a bit pricey but defo worth it or the Manizer palette for €25 which includes MaryLou, CindyLou(blush) and BettyLou(bronzer). Another great highlight would be the New Look Pure Colour baked eye shadow in Cream €8.






Personally I think it's easier to own palettes than single products so that is why I didn't list single contour colours or anything. I think if you can get a palette then that's the best because it's all together and it takes up less space and it's just handy, especially when you're travelling.

And for lips I mean? I can just tell you what brands I like but at the end of the day it's grand because you can top it up during the day. So I really like MAC obvs haha and Wet N Wild, Sleek, New Look Pure Colour, Urban Decay. Lip liners that are good would be Penneys PS Love, Essence or Rimmel.




Mascara is mascara but I really love the Lancome Doll Eyes €20 just incase you wanted to know!

And I use liquid liner on myself so it's the NYC matte black liquid liner €3 and on clients I use the Inglot Gel Liner in 77 €17 or someting!



I think I've covered it all! You don't need a makeup setting spray but I really like the Urban Decay All Nighter €30 big bottle €12 small bottle or else the NYX Matte Spray €10.



Most of these products can be got in Sam McCauley's in town or in Debenhams. Murrays Chemist also stock a few bits and as do Llyods and Connolly's. Joe Kelly's in Abbeyside will have the full makeup stand of Sleek and Wet N Wild. Llyods in the shopping centre are the only ones left that stock NYC I believe. So take a girly trip to town some day and just go for it.

I really hope I've covered everything. I guess if you want just take note of what I've mentioned and let me know if you've picked up anything I've mentioned and how you like it! I'd love to know :)

I think that's it lads! Hope you enjoyed!

Thanks for reading!Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment